Thursday, January 29, 2009

Culture Wars Alive and Well

My international relations professor mentioned this in class the other day. The professor said he'd been contacted by an instructor at St. Mary's College that was planning a boycott, and now that I've seen the SF Chronicle's article you see just how alive and well the culture wars and arguments of the '60s are - even in the Bay Area:

"I don't know what they're protesting actually, but if the last few months are any indication, they're protesting a cartoon character that shares my name and likeness, but it's not me," he told The Chronicle before his speech, adding that the McCain-Palin campaign had attempted to turn him into a "monster."
I have no side of the Bill Ayers argument. I'm too young to understand the full context of the emotional side of the argument. Logically, I understand that Ayers and his brethren did horrible things in the 60s. I also know that they were a part of a much larger argument that should no longer be taking place. One of the things that turned me onto Obama was this end of the Baby Boomers bullshit. I was hoping it was at least over here. I guess not.

No comments:

Post a Comment