Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Honkey, Please!

It's rare that I call out something stupid someone says by highlighting their race. But today is a special day. Only a sheltered white person would say something so stupid. Susannah Breslin at Slate highlighted the many times covered Obama audio from Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance. But that wasn't yet the head shaking, embarrassing comment. She asks:
"Amid the motherfuckers and the shits, though, there's another provocative line: "You ain't my bitch, nigga! Buy your own damn fries!" So, I'm wondering: Is it OK if this POTUS uses the N word?"
So this is where I come in. First off, he was not the POTUS when he said it. The book and the audio book came out long before he ran for the high office, and even if he was POTUS when he said it, it's really not your place to question. Obama was telling a story of his adolescence, a time and experience you obviously don't understand with your silly question. I'm curious if she's even read the book or has any idea what the coming of age, struggle with racial identity and eventual coming to peace in the heartland of black culture, Chicago.

Entries and articles like Breslin's just make me shake my head. You have to wonder if she's ever been outside of her bubble. Her myopic worldview is only highlighted by silly entries like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment