Sunday, March 1, 2009

Right America Feeling Wrong

Alex Pelosi, yes, birthed to Nancy Pelosi, is my third favorite Pelosi behind her mother and sister Christine Pelosi. I just finished watching her HBO documentary Right America Feeling Wronged. The film took me a second to process. During the campaign I was obsessed with red America turning blue or at least purple. I'd constantly ask friends questions about their home states. Most notably Virginia and Indiana. My weekend in Indiana further opened my eyes to some of the McCain/Palin supporters. I had so many questions about the culture and experience my friends had living in red states as liberals.

I'd seen similar youtube clips here and here during the campaign and was alarmed by the anger and resentment many of the supporters felt. I never experienced that type of antipathy towards McCain. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't alarmed and frightened by the Palin's speech at the RNC. The cultural lines I'd hoped could be blurred because of McCain desire to keep the campaign on the up and up were smashed.

Pelosi does a flyover of flyover country, capturing on a superficial many of those who are not ready for change, but instead of digging deeper and looking at the lives of a few, she portrayed the masses as uninformed bumpkins. The supporters she speaks to are all too comfortable sharing their worst fears of Obama, but Pelosi misses an opportunity to look into why they are so hesitant to change.

The particulars of Obama's life leave his story open to manipulation by right wing media and natural cultural reluctance. With funding as it was obvious she had, Pelosi could have done much more and giving more than just urban liberals something to gawk at. She could have told a deeper, more American story, with just a little more work.
----------------
Now playing: Bon Iver - Babys

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post; fine analysis. Bravo to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, SM. The thing is, I have no problem mocking conservatives that should know better. But it's hard to take something seriously when they only look skin deep at American culture.

    ReplyDelete